Sunday, August 1, 2010

me=woman=feminist???

honestly, I always questions myself whether I'm a feminist or not...living in this modern age, with education that leads me to the world of freedom even though I'm a woman maks me wonder am I a feminist???What mindset do I have when it comes to women issues...Will I always be a feminist all the way and rejects women' oppression???And all this time, I never got the answer...

because sometimes, I think that some of the feminists in this world are too strong and hard on men and the treatment they got...It sometimes stops them from enjoying life and their mindset is too set on women' power...But on the other hand, feminists' actions enable us women to live in this comfortable live today...so I cant be the one to talk bad about the feminists...

And when I watched 'Monalisa's Smile' on class with my classmates, made me see a feminist living at times where women is just another objesct and these women succumb to that role...Katherine Ann Willis played by Julia Roberts, to me is a feminist..and seeing her in the movie, I can see that she is a free woman that lives her life to the fullest and hopes other girls aka her students to live a life like her...I was so annoyed at first watching this movie because the students are so INTELLIGENTLY STUPID~~~they read books and memorize them page to page...they also accedes to their role as women in which they have to get married and be a care-taker in order to actually become a woman...THIS IS SUPER FRUSTRATING!!!

But as you can expect from a movie, Katherine is able to change these students' mindset to the better and thus they are more free to live their lives...

However, there is a twist in this movie that also relates to my confusion whether I'm a feminist or not...Joan Brandwyn played by Julia Stiles, she really opens my mind about this issue...Being a free woman is being whoever you want to be and not be scared about it...YES, we might say that being married in early age is like a confinement to your life...But she did it without any pressure and did it out of her desire...As long as she is happy about it, and the man is right for her, she does not think of the marriage as a NEED in order to become a woman, instead that is her own CHOICE!!!

so the important things in life is when you are able to CHOOSE...a feminist or not, it is just a label...your attitude and how you treat your life is the one that decide how you live your life...

0 comments:

Post a Comment